LYA

LYA
click this picture to be directed to Linda's Yarn Art 101 & Beyond (paid members only)

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

How To Figure Your Gauge

HOW TO DETERMINE THE FINISHED PIECE SIZE OF ONE OF MY PATTERNS BY MEASURING GAUGE

Tutorial Courtesy of Linda Charles

Just a little info for everyone who is shopping around on my site, when you check out my patterns for sale, just pay attention to the size listed. The numbers listed are stitches x rows and just to approximate, there are about 4 stitches and 4 rows per inch, more or less. Dividing the stitches by 4 and also the rows by 4 will give you a very rough idea of how big something will be.

A much more accurate way to determine the size is:
1) pick the crochet hook size you want to use
2) pick the yarn (or at least similar yarn weight) you want to use
3) crochet a small swatch (square) about 15 single crochet x 15 rows
4) measure the following:
   a) how many single crochets = one inch
   b) how many rows = one inch
5) take a) and divide into number of stitches in my pattern
6) take b) and divide into number of rows in my pattern
7) the two figures you get will be height (single crochets) x width (rows) & that will tell you how big your         finished piece will come out to be.

Everyone has their different comfort levels as to what size crochet art pieces they can handle and doing this test swatch can give you an idea of the size of any particular pattern and whether it's something you'll be interested in working on.

I have many different sizes of patterns, pillows to very large blanket size, and I don't list everything I do have in my portfolio in my "patterns for sale" folder. So please ask and I'm happy to customize, if possible, for the size you are looking for.

Here is another link that explains as well:

http://www.crochetgeek.com/2008/08/blog-post_08.html

No comments:

Post a Comment