LYA

LYA
click this picture to be directed to Linda's Yarn Art 101 & Beyond (paid members only)

Friday, February 22, 2019

How To Prevent Wavy and Uneven Borders

Here’s a great tip from Kim Beers!
My tips to prevent edge curling
1. When I begin a new project, especially a portrait; I use a hook at least one size smaller than what I intend to use for the
whole project. I have started mounting my finished pieces on canvas to hang on the wall so I don’t necessarily want a really
large finished piece. With that in mind I start my projects with a 3.5/E hook, I use that for all of the beginning border as well
as the large pieces of background. Once I get to the point where I’m changing colors a lot I switch to a size 4.0/F hook. I have
found that once I get to the every stitch color changes that my stitches get a little tighter and smaller. By using a smaller hook
to begin and a larger hook in the middle it keeps my stitches more even and helps eliminate some of the “wave” created by a
loose edge and tight center. 2. Every evening when I lay my piece out to take a picture, I also stretch it out. I kneel on the edge and stretch towards the top
focusing on the center of the piece. This helps to stretch the tighter stitches in the center multi color change sections to match
the looser outer border section.
I hope this info helps. These are a couple techniques I use to keep my project even and prevent having a “wavy” border and
eliminate some of the blocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment